Blogs of War

Hizballah Cavalcade

Internet Haganah



Kremlin Trolls

Making Sense of Jihad

Selected Wisdom

Views from the Occident


American Terrorists

Anwar Awlaki

Al Qaeda


American Al Qaeda Members

Inspire Magazine

Revolution Muslim


News, documents and analysis on violent extremism

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Seven Reasons I Might Not Respond On Twitter

Twittequette is a delicate thing. One of the nice things about Twitter is being able to take part in conversations with a wide variety of people.

But not every conversational gambit gets a response. I recently posted this list of reasons why I might not respond to a tweet directed to me via a mention. A few people asked to see it memorialized, and I thought it might come in handy from time to time. So here are my "seven reasons why I might not respond to your tweet:"

1) I have nothing useful to add to your comment. This happens rather a lot.

2) I don't understand what your comment or question is trying to say. This also happens a lot. If I don't understand it the first time, experience suggests that asking for a clarification is not likely to help matters.

3) I generally don't respond to tweets that are just out to pick a fight, unless I know you personally and I have a significant stake in the issue at hand. And even then, usually not. Arguments on Twitter are exhausting and almost never productive, and life is short.

4) I generally don't respond to tweets that are purely political or partisan, because I don't find them productive.

5) Sometimes I just don't see them. Do you SEE how many tweets there are to read every day? Added to that, I have accidentally discovered through using different methods of viewing Twitter (TweetDeck, Web page, mobile phone) that sometimes stuff just doesn't show up.

6) 80 percent of my failures to respond should not be taken personally. The remaining 20 percent, you probably know who you are.

7) If you send me a link without explaining what it is, I am not only not going to click on it, I am not going to respond, and you run a serious risk of getting blocked and reported for spam.


Views expressed on INTELWIRE are those of the author alone.



Tweets referencing this post:



", granular analysis..."

ISIS: The State of Terror
"Jessica Stern and J.M. Berger's new book, "ISIS," should be required reading for every politician and policymaker... Their smart, granular analysis is a bracing antidote to both facile dismissals and wild exaggerations... a nuanced and readable account of the ideological and organizational origins of the group." -- Washington Post

More on ISIS: The State of Terror

"...a timely warning..."

Jihad Joe: Americans Who Go to War in the Name of Islam:
"At a time when some politicians and pundits blur the line between Islam and terrorism, Berger, who knows this subject far better than the demagogues, sharply cautions against vilifying Muslim Americans. ... It is a timely warning from an expert who has not lost his perspective." -- New York Times

More on Jihad Joe


INTELWIRE is a web site edited by J.M. Berger. a researcher, analyst and consultant covering extremism, with a special focus on extremist activities in the U.S. and extremist use of social media. He is a non-resident fellow with the Brookings Institution, Project on U.S. Relations with the Islamic World, and author of the critically acclaimed Jihad Joe: Americans Who Go to War in the Name of Islam, the only definitive history of the U.S. jihadist movement, and co-author of ISIS: The State of Terror with Jessica Stern.


Newest posts!

The Mullah Krekar Show

What Is Al Qaeda, Part 3

Exclusive: Unsealed Documents From Rana Trial, Hea...

Inspire, Issue Six: Martyrs and Mixed Messages

Al Shabab's Recruiting Pipeline From Minnesota To ...

What Is Al Qaeda, Part 2

Google's Process For Extremist Content

What Is Al Qaeda, Part 1

Jihad Joe Reading And Signing At Porter Square Boo...

Terrorist acts, terrorist thoughts


New York Pipe Bomb Suspect Linked to Revolution Muslim

The Utility of Lone Wolves

Interview with Online Jihadist Abu Suleiman Al Nasser

A Way Forward for CVE: The Five Ds

How Terrorists Use The Internet: Just Like You

PATCON: The FBI's Secret War on the Militia Movement

Interview About Jihad With Controversial Cleric Bilal Philips

Forgeries on the Jihadist Forums

U.S. Gave Millions To Charity Linked To Al Qaeda, Anwar Awlaki

State Department Secretly Met With Followers of Blind Sheikh

State Department Put 'Political Pressure' On FBI To Deport Brother-in-Law Of Osama Bin Laden In 1995

FBI Records Reveal Details Of Nixon-Era Racial Profiling Program Targeting Arabs

Gaza Flotilla Official Was Foreign Fighter in Bosnia War

U.S. Had 'High Confidence' Of UBL Attack In June 2001

Behind the Handshake: The Rumsfeld-Saddam Meeting